Thesaurus Methodology (47)
METHODOLOGY OF TRAINING TRAINERS
Teaching traditions as occupational prophylactic therapies for adults
by the revolutionary Learning Management System of the project
Conforming to the original philosophy of our Grundtvig Learning Partnership “Thesaurus – Treasury for Adult Education”, the training process of the adult learners becomes an occupational therapy. Of course, “therapy” could make the majority thinking about the medicine, but in our case, our vision is that valorizing the traditions in combination with learning languages and new technologies, can become an alternative way to provide a vivid occupation to adult learners, able to stimulate their creativity and to involve all the other senses and previous competences, ensuring a superior method of alternative education which cares not only about intellectual issues, but also about all the types of abilities, never learnt or forgotten by the adult trainee. In the Grundtvig Learning Partnership “Thesaurus”, from the perspective of providing a better synchretic education to the adults, especially to the seniors or social disfavored categories, we considered that:
1) dancing means moving the body in a rhythmic way, following traditional music;
2) singing means exercising her/his voice, learning melody and lines in a certain language, eventually acquiring a specific accent;
3) manufacturing means to develop and/or to reestablish previous skills combining attention, abilities of handling instruments, artistic sense and knowing in order to get a concrete artisanal product: weaving carpets, making pottery, making wine, sculpting the wood, painting various objects (eggs, furniture, dishes, canvas), plaiting, crocheting;
4) traditionally cooking is a complex traditional art joining respect of customs, talent, attention and ingenuity
5) finding out or making know to the others – compatriots or from abroad – less known but once famous traditions, historic facts stored in the museums, unique proofs of popular civilization means becoming aware of her/his cultural heritage, being proud of it and, through this conscious process, sharing with the others increases the responsibility of preserving and transmitting intact this patrimony.
The steps of this original method we created in the Grundtvig Learning Partnership “Thesaurus – Treasury for Adult Education” are as follows:
1) teaching traditions to an adult public from abroad, together with providing skills of national language, during the project reunions; using the project’s Learning Management System is a necessary fact, in order to store the knowledge and to make it accessible;
2) teaching modern languages with elements of folklore to the adults from the target-groups of the involved institutions – teaching how to present her/his national customs to a foreigner in his language and also showing parts or the integrity of a tradition during an evaluation of the new skills; using the project’s Learning Management System is also a required permanence, the course supports and the learners profiles are recorded, a lot of multimedia instruments creating a dynamic environment for learning; learning languages through traditions and by the mean of the LMS encourages studying, improves IT skills and involves a different knowledge of the language that it’s about to be learnt, of the specificity of the country or of the cultural territory recovered by that language;
3) creating documentary movies during the project reunions, about national traditions of the country belonging to participant institution and making from these documentary, real learning objects, in the same time cultural and linguistic evidences and attractive teaching instruments, is a successful learning strategy that we included in our didactic demarche for adult learners.
This Methodology will include the description of the Learning Management System, complex web application that stores all the course supports created in the project. The software is stored at http://www.www.adult-education.ro/lms and the visitor account has the same username and password: guest.
It’s important to underline that every institution that will want to develop online courses, can benefit for free from this advanced e-learning environment. The administrator will create user accounts and will provide free training in order to ensure the easier comprehension of all the tools of the system. In the same time, every single adult that will want to access the LMS for personal purposes, will be able to make it for free.
We also added to this Methodology a detailed Index of the 153 documentary movies and film playlists produced in “Thesaurus” Grundtvig partnership.
Finally, the Multimedia section of the Thesaurus Methodology includes 43 didactic movies – tutorials for using the Learning Management System, together with the weblogs that will allow you to watch the didactic movies mixing traditions, learning languages and IT.
Click on the titles in order to access the chapters
- Chapter one - Generally speaking
- Chapter two - From the user perspective – the adult learner space in the LMS
- Chapter three - The LMS administrator – course creator-trainer space
- Chapter four - Into the course space as course creator, trainer or administrator
A. Authoring tools
- B. Interaction tools
- C. Administration tools
- Chapter five – Teaching using traditions, creating occupational therapies
45) Training course spaces using traditions.